canberrabirds

swift parrots barking owl and masked owl

To: COG <>
Subject: swift parrots barking owl and masked owl
From: jude hopwood <>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 07:21:13 +1100
January 30: 8 swift parrots flew over SE to NW, calling constantly

This morning, 5:45, sparrows remarkably silent and the call of the Masked Owl (although I did not know that immediately) came very clearly from a tree nearby to the sparrows' roost tree.  I heard it 7 times as I stood at the front window looking out trying to identify the location and owner, when most conveniently, the caller flew to the front verandah, fluttered less than a metre from my face, then, without fuss, flew over the sparrows' roost tree and out of sight. I imagine there will be quite a lot of sparrow poo beneath their roost tree this morning...

While I was researching the name of the owner of this voice, appearance and behaviour, I listened to as many calls as I could access.  In the process, my husband heard the barking owl and commented that he often hears it during his sleepless nights.

Respectfully,
Jude