canberrabirds

Longevity of Australian passerines

To: <>
Subject: Longevity of Australian passerines
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 12:43:42 +1100
That is a big call. Yes it could happen. As in I think Martin is suggesting selection for those individuals to live longer, driving evolution towards evolving greater longevity. Fine if that variability exists in a genetic form that can be passed down. However equally or more likely is that the variability does not exist, and if the pressure exists (and continues to a critical point) and there is not the ability to adapt quickly enough, far from promoting greater longevity, it simply leads to extinction.

As for other than the ‘stressful migration’ theory, the other speculation that Harvey mentions. I don't see any exclusion between these ideas. Surely it is reasonable that they and likely other factors apply jointly and to variable extents in different places or to different species.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: martin butterfield [ Sent: Thursday, 24 January 2013 7:32 AM      To: Perkins, Harvey
Cc:       Subject: Re: [canberrabirds] Longevity of Australian passerines [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Harvey

Since, as I understand it, one of the impacts of climate change is that weather becomes more variable would this theory imply increased longevity for N hemisphere species?  I have no idea how that could be assessed in human timescales.

Martin