canberrabirds

Chestnut-rumped Heathwren at Mt Tennant + Namadgi VC Crakes and Rails

To: Canberra Birds <>
Subject: Chestnut-rumped Heathwren at Mt Tennant + Namadgi VC Crakes and Rails
From: John Leonard <>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 14:42:23 +1100
Saw the Chestnut-rumped Heathwren (a juvenile) on the track up Mt Tennant from the Namadgi Vistors Centre. At the first creek crossing (just a short wooden walkway) I heard the distinctive high-pitched contact notes of this sp. I walk 5 metres off the track into the tea-tree scrub (downhill, ie north) and a juvenile popped out to have a look at me. Didn't see any others.

Also Rufous Whistler, Olive-backed Oriole (feeding dy), Noisy Friarbird and Leaden Flycatcher.

At Namadgi Visitors Centre there were two Buff-banded Rails and two juveniles (breeding there perhaps), two Australian Crakes and one Spotless.

Also: Dusky Woodswallow*, Jacky Winter*, Dollarbird, Yellow-rumped Thornbill*, Rufous Songlark*, Tree Martin, WW Triller, Buff-rumped Thornbill (+* juveniles). A heard a White-throated Gerygone. A juvenile Blackbird was the first I had seen that that location. The Grey Fantail juvenile with no tail feathers noted a few days ago is still there.

Tharwa Sandwash failed to produce any Bee-eaters, just many Fairy Martins, Blackbirds, Rufous Whistlers, a Brown Goshawk, a White-throated Treecreeper, and a White-eared Honeyeater.

--
John Leonard