canberrabirds

Callum Brae today - and a question.

To: <>
Subject: Callum Brae today - and a question.
From: "Margaret Leggoe" <>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 14:05:10 +1100

The birds on Callum Brae seem to have survived last week’s adverse weather OK.  About 20 straw-necked ibis roosted overnight near zoo corner.  Seen or heard in that vicinity:

White-throated gerygone

Leaden fly-catcher

Sacred kingfisher

Dollarbird

Noisy friarbirds feeding dependent young,

Noisy miner

Black-faced cuckoo shrike,

All the usual parrots, magpies, magpie larks etc.

Further south towards the westernmost dam the buff-rumped thornbills were still around, and further over towards Mugga lane are superb fairy wrens and, if my bird-call matches up correctly, white-throated tree-creeper.  I have often heard this bird inside the Mugga Lane entrance in the trees between the ammunition  huts and the road.  I thought it was an eastern spinebill, but today took a bird caller and matched the call to the white-throated tree creeper.

Is this leaden flycatcher a juvenile?  The breast feathers appeared lighter at the time, and in this shot the bird has its back to the light.

Margaret Leggoe

LeadenFC130115_A0878-copy.jpg