canberrabirds

Koel pair and comment on moult

To: <>
Subject: Koel pair and comment on moult
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 15:52:10 +1100
Nearly a year ago, I wrote the below. Today and a few days ago I had a close look at the male Koel in my yard. It too has an odd distribution of old wing and tail feathers in the centre of the wing and about 3 or 4 in from the edge of the tail and looks almost the same as the bird number 6 on age 769 of HANZAB except for rather more black on the underside. This is described in the HANZAB text. I had not noticed that feature in the adult male around my house over previous weeks. Surely this is a different bird. It seems to me they must maintain a selected few juvenile feathers long after the rest have moulted or do they grow new juvenile feathers.