canberrabirds

not birds but...Flying Foxes in Commonwealth Park

To: "Marg Peachey" <>
Subject: not birds but...Flying Foxes in Commonwealth Park
From: "Peter Ormay" <>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 15:00:37 +1100
Dear Marg,

The disease that you refer to that can be transmitted by being bitten or scratched by Flying Foxes (or micro bats) is Lissa virus which is similar to rabies.

 What I'm concerned about is Hendra virus which is known to have killed 4 humans who were associated with horses that are believed to have been infected by Flying Foxes via their faeces. As far as I know no humans have been infected directly by Flying Foxes via their faeces but I wouldn't like to be the first one. Children playing under the roost trees could easily come in contact with it and ingest a tiny amount by not washing their hands properly before eating. Have there been any tests done to determine how susceptible humans are infection by Hendra virus from bat droppings?  Is there any guarantee that the risk is zero or are we running an experiment without the subject's knowledge waiting to see who will be the unlucky person?

Regards
        Peter