canberrabirds

Spotted (Turtle) Dove

To: <>
Subject: Spotted (Turtle) Dove
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 11:36:11 +1100

Morning all,

After sleeping in as noted in an earlier email, I thought I would have a crack at my own (not too serious) BIG YEAR so off I went to survey the two ponds now known as Big MacKellar and Little Mackellar Ponds. I added a few species to my “year’s” but was surprised, and a little disappointed, when a Spotted (Turtle)Dove flew in from the houses opposite the northwestern edge of Big MacKellar and landed on a dead Eucalypt on the edge of the pond. I did record one of these doves a few years ago near the intersection of William Slim and Ginninderra Drives, not all that far from today’s record. Also present on Big MacKellar was a full plumaged adult male Australian Darter.

To 1130 am this morning I have recorded 30 species but so far NO Galahs, White Cockies or Starlings! Both are regular birds that fly over my house every morning – maybe I was still asleep .....!!!!!!.

Cheers,

Mark