canberrabirds

Koel in Weston

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Koel in Weston
From: "Jack & Andrea Holland" <>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 14:06:11 +1100
Koels have certainly been more conspicuous in my local area this year, with the one in Rivett calling much more than in the last few years (any part of the day from as early as 4 am) and moving closer and closer to my GBS site.  Unlike previous years I also managed to get a number of sightings, often surprisingly close in open situations where it paid no attention to me at all – subscribers may have seen Tobias’ post with the male holding a cherry a few weeks back – he’s about 400 m from my place and in the area where it often was seen/heard.

So it was only a matter of time before I could put it on my GBS chart – this occurred on Sunday evening 16 December, when first it was calling from a very open position about 200 m away, and then in the next 30 minutes twice briefly from trees around our house.   On each occasion the bird made a very different call from the two standard ones I’d been hearing, and flew off back into Rivett with Red Wattlebirds in hot pursuit.

Surprisingly he’s been much quieter since and has hardly been heard in the past week while I’ve been home all day.

Jack Holland