canberrabirds

Crimson Rosella fledging date

To: "'canberrabirds'" <>
Subject: Crimson Rosella fledging date
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 20:53:24 +1100
I'm confident to say that the Crimson Rosella nestlings in the nest box in my tree, left yesterday. This judged by that for the last week the (one or more) chick(s) had spent most of their time perched at the hole, looking out. This made it awkward for the parents to feed them, as they could not perch at the entrance and squeeze in, as the chicks blocked the entrance. So they had a hard time standing on top of the nest box bending down to feed the chicks and spilling a lot. But I have not seen the chicks today or yesterday, in spite of having spent 2 hours this morning washing dishes - the kitchen window faces the nest box. The female perched on the nest box once today. But I think that was just to meet the male.