canberrabirds

Painted snipe @ Kellys

To: <>
Subject: Painted snipe @ Kellys
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 11:53:06 +1100
Thanks to all those who have posted messages....... I went to see the bird (Painted snipe) yesterday afternoon and, with some hints from Neil Williams, who was sitting watching / filming the bird as I arrived, I saw it within about 30 seconds of my arrival. Pretty good going and this time only a few metres away. Up until these recent events in Canberra I'd only seen this species twice before: 1972 & 2003. This bird spent most of its time completely still with its eyes (or maybe just one at a time) constantly opening and closing (about equal time in both). Indeed at one point I said to Neil that it has moved and now I can see the other side of its head. Hardly surprising for a nocturnal or crepuscular bird resting in the middle of the day. I only saw its eyes closed when it was resting. The eye is big and very obvious. It was not feeding. After about 15 minutes of me watching, it shook itself and appeared to feed on something then walked off deeper into the reeds and was quickly hidden from view. Several tries to find it again over the next hour or so failed. Also easily seen at least 2 Baillon's Crakes, plus later on in the trees above, the Night-Herons and in the main ponds several Freckled Ducks, etc.

Philip

 ----Original Message-----From: Geoffrey Dabb [ Sent: Saturday, 8 December 2012 10:11 AM