canberrabirds

Breeding at Callum Brae NC

To: "canberrabirds chatline" <>
Subject: Breeding at Callum Brae NC
From: "Julian Robinson" <>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 21:38:37 +1100

For the record (Jack) the following summarises breeding at Nursery Corner Callum Brae (around the creek, NE of reserve) last two weeks …

-          3 WW Triller nests all sitting, I think eggs not chicks in all of them (no food carrying); also one triller nest-building attempt abandoned within the last week.

-          1 WT Gerygone nest, sitting (1st gerygone nest I’m aware of here)

-          1 Rufous Songlark nest, carrying food in (1st  time I’ve seen them here at all) (there have been several pairs around calling, now only one pair left I think; one probable nest completed or abandoned last week)

-          1 Dusky Woodswallow nest abandoned last week  (they were sitting -- no Duskies around at all today)

-          1 Striated Pardalote active nest in hollow abandoned last week; another hollow with wing display etc today

-          1 pair (I think only one male and one female) Superb Fairywrens attending nest in creek

Plus possibles:

-          1 Little Corella hollow has a chick about to fledge I think.  This might be wrong and it might be just two adults, though one looks gormless like a juvenile and doesn’t leave the hollow.

-           two Dollarbirds have been around for 5 weeks, now only one is seen, silently sitting high.

-          plenty of BF Cuckoo-shrikes around but no nesting obvious yet

-          Willie Wagtails and Grey Fantails looking suspicious

-          SC Cockatoo has taken over the old Kestrel hollow, but I don’t know if there’s any breeding happening

and… 1 Currawong studying the environment and being harassed.

Julian

www.flickr.com/photos/ozjulian/