canberrabirds

Night Herons

To: "'Elizabeth Compston'" <>
Subject: Night Herons
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 10:34:13 +1100
Elizabeth -

Yes I counted 7 night herons on Friday morning about 645am feeding in the
shallow area of Kellys.  All would be visible from Ardea or Bittern.   As
the morning advanced they flew off or up to roost, one by one.  I would
think there are quite a few more in the general area, at the moment.  These
days they can be often seen further south in the billabong area accessible
from the new path  -  which I'd recommend for a longer walk.  They're more
obvious when flying, of course.

I haven't seen any really young birds recently, just a couple with sub-adult
plumage.  I don't know about any current nests, but it's possible they're
breeding now.  I'd expect any nests in the area to be at least partly
concealed in veg over water, perhaps two or more together.  The willows on
the island could be suitable (certainly they roost there) but I'd think
along the creek-line somewhere would be more likely.  Interestingly HANZAB
says nests of juvenile-plumaged birds are 4-5 times as bulky as those of
adult-plumaged birds, which are just large enough to hold the clutch.

Incidentally, re that head-plume, with the close views available you can see
that it's generally 3 separate plumes that often hang together so it looks
like only one or two.    g