canberrabirds

Birdline ACT Weekly Update

To: Canberrabirds <>
Subject: Birdline ACT Weekly Update
From: BirdlineACT <>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 16:55:21 +1100
Birdline ACT

Published sightings for the week ending 2 Dec 2012.

Sun 2 Dec Whistling Kite, Brush Cuckoo Mulligans Flat Nature Reserve, Gungahlin
2 Whistling Kites together in a Blakely's Red Gum - possibly nesting as a nest seen in the tree. 3 Brush Cuckoos heard (one seen) calling in various parts of the reserve - our first for this site.
Frank Antram, Alastair Smith

Sat 1 Dec Pied Cormorant Kellys Swamp & Jerrabomberra Wetlands, Fyshwick
1 Pied Cormorant flying around where Jerrabomberra Creek meets Lake Burley Griffin affording great views.
Frank Antram, Alastair Smith

Fri 30 Nov Red-chested Button-Quail Mulligan's Flat Sanctuary
Located by call, higher pitched than Painted Button-Quail, I managed to sneak up to a female Red-chested Button-Quail this morning in tall Joycea pallida. Aside from the call, when viewed from close range, the dark eye-stripe and crown with narrow but distinct pale coronal stripe, the greyish cheeks and side of neck, and brick-red throat and upper breast in combination excluded the possibility of it being any other button-quail species.
PJ Milburn

Thu 29 Nov Freckled Duck, Musk Duck, Pink-eared Duck Mulligans Flat Nature Reserve
Two Freckled Ducks (black bills) on big dam along with Pink-eared Duck pair and a female Musk Duck. Also seen Superb Parrots at 2 sites.
Marnix Zwankhuizen

Little Egret Jerrabomberra Wetlands
One bird. The photo was taken next from Ardea hide. The bird was seen standing next to a Great Egret (considerably smaller) and chased by a White-faced Heron (smaller on the ground and in flight). Dark bill with yellow face, dark legs. [Moderator's comment: Also reported by David Landon and subsequently seen around 17.15-18.15 on Kelly Swamp by Alastair Smith, Kevin Windle, Peter Milburn, Brendan Sheean and Frank Antram. Dark grey bill with yellow base/facial skin; dark grey legs; looked remarkably small and slender alongside a Royal Spoonbill.]
Stephen Wallace

Tue 27 Nov Superb Parrot AIS
Spotted in a tree at the Australian Institute of Sport. Photo taken zoomed in with my phone, so not a very clear picture, but I bird that I had never seen before.
Anna Napo

Mon 26 Nov Diamond Firetail Pine Island
A single finch seen and photographed around 4.30 pm [Moderator's comment: first record in Eremaea of this species at this locality]
Kym Bradley

White-throated Needletails Holt, ACT
0515 hrs From my backyard about 20 White-throated Needletails spiralling upwards and drawing out of sight towards the north.
John K. Layton

Sun 25 Nov Australian Spotted Crake Kelly's Swamp, Jerrabomberra Wetlands, ACT
Single bird foraging in shallows near reeds
Margaret Leggoe