canberrabirds

A Return to Victoria (7)

To: "'Geoffrey Dabb'" <>, <>
Subject: A Return to Victoria (7)
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 15:31:53 +1100
It is very easy to tell a cicada from a beetle (a member of the Coleoptera), especially one about to emerge from the nymph casing. As beetles, being endopterygotes (like flies, bees, ants, butterflies, etc) have a larvae like a grub (maggot, caterpillar, etc, very different from an adult) and so the pupa is rather shapeless, basically a bag, whilst the animal changes between two very different life forms. Cicadas being in the other half of insects (exoptygotes), the larval form changes gradually through a series of moults, all pretty much in shape like miniature adults. Often in that half of the insects, the adults differ in appearance from larvae just in being bigger and having wings and sexual organs. The shape of a cicada nymph casing is as we all know, shows a perfectly formed mobile animal that is quite like the adult.

There isn't a lot to go on the half munched item in your photo and I can't pick it, but what there is does look more beetle like to me. And monotremata is right.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: Geoffrey Dabb [ Sent: Monday, 5 November 2012 3:04 PM      To:
Subject: [canberrabirds] A Return to Victoria (7)

Harvey tells me that the alleged cicada in my last bulletin is, rather, a member of the Coleoptera.  He may be right, and if so I am delighted to be corrected.  My next instalment takes me into Newstead to meet up with my fellow Melbourne Uni law student from the 1950s and old New Guinea hand, John Pasquarelli.  Since his stormy political days in Canberra he has turned his hand to painting and held some successful exhibitions.  The point here is that, like myself and many Canberra residents, he has a particular feeling for magpies which have emerged as a theme in several paintings.  In this, he is in the company of among others The Port Jackson Painter, Sydney Long, Albert Tucker, Sidney Nolan and Clifton Pugh who have all taken the maggie as a subject, each in their own way.  Moreover, as shown here in the early morning Newstead light, John is a Feeder, as several of us are, taking pleasure in the grateful melodious chortle of our black and white friends. I trust I am on firm ground taxonomically in suggesting that the magpie in the painting is watching a member of the Monotremata.