canberrabirds

COG's bird blitz & Kestrel nest etc.

To: "'Philip Veerman'" <>, <>
Subject: COG's bird blitz & Kestrel nest etc.
From: "Margaret Leggoe" <>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 09:16:54 +1100

Philip,

I noticed that behaviour last year at “my” kestrels’ nest while Mum was still sitting on eggs.  She didn’t have the appetite to accept all the mice that Dad brought her and sometimes he would stuff around with it for up to an hour before hiding it in a crevice in a nearby tree.  These shots show Dad hiding a mouse in a fork.  From the time he went into the fork on one side and came out the other without the mouse was only 20 seconds.

Margaret

hdnk-mouse1_111013_6373.jpg

henk-mouse2_111013_6374.jpg

hfnk-mouse3_111013_6379.jpg