canberrabirds

Blitz query/comment

To: "'David Rosalky'" <>, "'Birdline'" <>
Subject: Blitz query/comment
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 21:40:03 +1100
Hi David,

Your description very black head, especially if it is the top of the head not just the face, the borders of the black on the breast were very ragged fits White-bellied C-s and not Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike. There are other differences. I certainly wouldn't rule out White-bellied C-s because of the month. Yes it would be a rather unusual sighting but unusual doesn't make it wrong. I would be more surprised by a Cicadabird there. The COG Atlas (p 201) says White-bellied C-s recorded here April to October but historical records suggest at any time. The GBS Report says: An uncommon species whose occurrence pattern here appears to be erratic. There are no observations for October, November or January and a clear peak in April. But that is because of a small sample size of just GBS reports of a sort of rare species.