canberrabirds

Rainbow lorikeet without the rainbow

To: "'Perkins, Harvey'" <>, "'David Rosalky'" <>, "'Margaret Leggoe'" <>, <>
Subject: Rainbow lorikeet without the rainbow
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 13:06:10 +1100
Thanks Harvey & David,

I certainly agree it looks just like the Forshaw’s Parrots of the World (1978 2nd edition) has a specimen that fits your picture.  It is named “Weber’s Lorikeet” So given the location (taking Flores as part of Indonesia) and that it presumably is a wild bird, surely that would be it. Beyond that, it comes down to what names are used for a complex group of related forms and which ones you decide to give a separate English name to. I agree with Harvey that it probably shouldn't be called a Rainbow Lorikeet.

I can't suggest anything beyond what Harvey has added from IOC list (nor should I).

Apart from that if this was about local forms (which is not what you asked about), these birds also hybridise easily (more so in captivity, see e.g. the range of birds in the Gungahlin aviary) so the potential is always there for odd appearance birds.