canberrabirds

Black Swan feeding preference

To: <>
Subject: Black Swan feeding preference
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 14:35:17 +1100

A short stopover at Black Mountain Peninsula yesterday to introduce Sophia to Black Swans and whatever. A pair of Swans were feeding on what I first thought would be grass. Turns out they were specifically eating dandelion flowers. Then, ignoring the grass, would readily take hand feeding of dandelion flowers. May be ordinary but I had not noticed that before. I thought it would be nice to take one home and reduce the need for me to mow the lawn.