canberrabirds

A stretch of the Molonglo

To: <>
Subject: A stretch of the Molonglo
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 13:06:52 +1100

A few weeks ago I showed veg burning operations as seen from Mt Pleasant. This is a view from the Fyshwick side.  (The river is accessed at this point from Gladstone or Tennant Streets Fyshwick.)  To the left is the turf farm and the part of the river used by water-skiers.  If you proceed further to the right on the near side you come to a wonderful unintended sculpture garden of old machinery, some items very large.  From their age I infer some of it must have been used in the construction of Lake Burley Griffin and related infrastructure, so it might qualify for heritage status.  The cleared trees would have been mainly willows, so not much loss except to various perching birds including raptors that used this part of the river.  I do not know what use is planned for the banks of this stretch, but if it is not carefully tended it will soon become a jungle of blackberry and other weeds, as much of it now is.  As to other birds:  mainly blackbirds, scrubwrens and g fantails.