canberrabirds

Hobbies and relevant to interpreting all other species trends.

To: <>
Subject: Hobbies and relevant to interpreting all other species trends.
From: "wallaces" <>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 20:07:04 +1000
Philip,

I cannot agree more with your statement:
" So whilst the graph presented is instructive, I would suggest against analysing it beyond its use"

Your points illustrate why it is important to understand what is behind data when analysing it in detail. Incorrect conclusions can too easily be drawn from data influenced by the data collection methodology and processing. The question of what constitutes an incidental record in the COG data and how it is treated when presenting and analysing the data is of particular interest to me. I have attached below a summary of the distribution of incidental records for the Australian Hobby across bird years.

Hopefully the main outcome of presenting any COG data will be that people become more interested in understanding the birds.

Steve

Australian Hobby

Number of records
  Survey Code