Protect the Laws that Protect the Places You Love
Dear Member Group
On Tuesday 14 August 2012, the Conservation Council ACT Region was at the launch of the combined environment group campaign, Protect the Laws that Protect the Places you Love, at Parliament House.
Under pressure from big business and the mining industry, federal and state governments have announced an aggressive plan to wind back essential environmental protection laws. In the guise of cutting ‘green tape’ government and industry propose to hand important federal approval powers to the states, and fast track approvals for large developments.
This will remove essential federal protection for our special places and wildlife and accelerate mining and other destructive development in our forests, woodlands and along our coasts.
In response to these threats environmental organisations across the country have come together to launch a national campaign to defend and strengthen our environmental protection laws.
We want you to take action to help us.
This is a critical moment in time.
1) It is essential that the Prime Minister hears community support for the laws that protect the places we love—email Prime Minister Gillard today.
Prime Minister Julia Gillard
Canberra office: (02) 6277 7700
Email: OR http://www.pm.gov.au/contact-your-pm
Click here for a sample letter.
2) Make your Voice Heard: Please send this Action Alert to your members and ask them to email the Prime Minister as well.
3) Donate to help the Conservation Council work on this campaign to protect our special places.
4) Join us on Facebook so you can keep up to date with campaign news.
5) To help you get involved, here is a tool kit with campaign materials and ready to use campaign images for your website. Criteria for using campaign branding:
· Organisations should personalise the materials as they see fit but must stay true to the tone and intent of the campaign in all communications. Messages should not be altered.
· If your group chooses to use your own images with the campaign branding the images must be of natural places or wildlife that are (or should be) a matter of national environmental significance.
· Images should be of Australian places and wildlife only.
For more information please contact me. Thank you for taking part in the efforts to protect the laws that protect the places and wildlife we love.
Go here for more information.
Conservation Council ACT Region
PO Box 544, Canberra ACT 2601
Ph: (02) 6229 3202 M: 0412 425 665