canberrabirds

PlacesYouLove

To: canberra birds <>
Subject: PlacesYouLove
From: Rosemary Blemings <>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 08:45:52 +1000

Dear Everyone,

Two days ago I received an email about PlacesYouLove.org. This message is to please ask you to visit that site and to do as much as possible to implore your friends and network-people to write to the PM, their local MPs about the criminal divesting of responsibility for Environmental Laws which the Federal Government is proposing to off-load onto the State governments.

The website explains it much better than I could. By giving the States more power over changes to 'country' it will become even easier for developers, mining corporations and other exploiters of Australia's richness to have their own way. (James Price Point in Broome's area, Shooting in National Parks, Grazing in alpine parks, mining in the Tarkine are examples that are already coming to mind)

This threat to the bush that surrounds us, the iconic places we've been lucky enough to visit and the oceans, forests, coasts, water-sources and biodiversity must be turned around before Australia's uniqueness and our wellbeing suffers any further.

The brilliant ray of hope in this is that country-wide, conservation groups have come together to unitedly campaign against this lack of Federal leadership. You'll see their logos on the site and may even have already heard about the action we appreciators, birdwatchers and landcarers need to take through organisations such as the Conservation Council (ACT region).

Please join this campaign because it supports all the loving and landcaring we've been involved in for decades. I'm sorry that this will require effort through letter-writing but, at this stage, this is the only way forward. I understand that GetUp! has been approached about establishing a petition but they have many calls on their campaign program. We could always go onto their website and ask them to create a "Save Australia" petition.

Rosemary

6258 4724