canberrabirds

Changing of the seasons

To: COG List <>
Subject: Changing of the seasons
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 14:06:49 +1000
I went for a stroll on the Hoskinstown Plain this morning and found some sighting indicative of Spring while others suggested that Winter hasn't completely gone yet.  (I suspect anyone walking around outdoors before about 8 this morning already realised the second part of that.)

On the Winter end of the argument I came across at least 10 Flame Robins (9 brown birds and one glorious male) and a flock of 15 Australasian Pipits.

The constant song of at least 6 Skylarks was surely a harbinger of Spring.

The Black Swans have managed to retain 3 of their 5 cygnets and 28 Australian Shelducks (the flock has been up to 70 at times over Winter) were grazing beside a small billabong.

Martin