canberrabirds

Eastern Yellow Robin breeding

To: "'martin butterfield'" <>
Subject: Eastern Yellow Robin breeding
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 20:46:59 +1000
That is nice. I am not familiar with your place and so I would wonder as to how consistent the habitat there is with the bulk of the GBS (most of which is urban or suburban). I suspect inclusion of your site extends the boundaries of the likely, in terms of GBS norms. So I think reporting of such should carry the extra information that your site is somewhat different from most. The GBS Report states:
Eastern Yellow Robin Eopsaltria australis
This is a common species in virtually all the forest and riverine habitat around Canberra but its tolerance of the suburbs appears to be minimal. It is probably the most common and widespread land bird species outside the suburban area that hardly infiltrates the suburbs at all. This seems odd as it is relatively tame and approachable. Virtually all records are from a few sites near major reserve areas such as Mt. Ainslie and Black Mountain.