canberrabirds

Winter Birds interim report (1)

To: <>
Subject: Winter Birds interim report (1)
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 18:39:17 +1000

First, thanks to all who sent me their observations.  This kind of exercise can’t work without wide participation.  47 observers sent at least one report, compared to 56 in 2010 – a comparable effort given that the target species were hard to find with many recorders sending only one report.  No doubt some scanned the wintry birdscape in vain. I’ll break this up for chatline purposes, with a view to a fuller discussion elsewhere.

Now, to dispose of the particular scarcities:

The White-throated Gerygone was not reported in the corresponding 8 weeks in 2010, and was not found this year either.   On the basis of 2010, the Western Gerygone is much more likely, being reported that Winter on 11 days with 4 birds on one day.  This year it was reported on only two consecutive days in June  -  from the Pinnacle and Red Hill.

Rufous Songlark was not found in 2010;  this year there were two reports, both outside the ACT, to the north-west.

No reports at all of the Noisy Friarbird this year, compared to reports on 9 days in 2010.

Next, I’ll deal with the 2 species only included this year.  I believe the YFHE is generally around in small numbers each Winter.  Sightings picked up towards the end of the period, most being from Steve Wallace in Fraser.  That experienced observers did not find more suggests they are fairly sparse.

The Superb Parrot was a useful inclusion, at Barbara Allan’s suggestion –

The highlight was the isolated sighting of 20 at U of Canberra by Milburn (wrongly entered as 19 in an interim table).  The 2-ofs recorded in the second half of July were possibly the same pair.

That leaves 6 species to be addressed in a further message.