canberrabirds

Bronzewings still sitting, sitting, sitting...

To: "'Canberra Birds'" <>
Subject: Bronzewings still sitting, sitting, sitting...
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 17:42:25 +1000
Hi Dennis,

I suggest, most likely but not yet certain that the breeding has failed, which would not seem odd, given that it is through mid winter. To expand on Geoffrey's comment there are various possibilities:

1    Eggs might be infertile and they are still incubating.
2    Eggs might be fertile but embryos have died and they are still incubating.
3    Might not be on eggs now.

4    Maybe the start time you noticed is wrong as in they may have started sitting before eggs were laid (unless you know when eggs appeared).
5    Maybe the start time is now wrong if they had one clutch that failed e.g. through predation and they laid a second clutch, and you would not have known, so the start time needs to be reset. So the nest might still be successful.
6   Maybe chicks have hatched recently and they are still so small that you have not seen them yet.

Whilst I am on it, I will mention, having just noticed in checking this book for anything useful to add, that Betty Temple Watts also did the paintings for H.J. Frith's book Pigeons and Doves of Australia.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: Geoffrey Dabb [ Sent: Wednesday, 1 August 2012 4:00 PM      To: 'Canberra Birds'