canberrabirds

The Quintessential Bird

To: Kevin and Gwenyth Bray <>
Subject: The Quintessential Bird
From: Denis Wilson <>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 17:32:48 +1000
I wish to make an amendment to my comment originally prompted by  Gwenyth Bray's original comment re Betty Temple Watts wonderful illustrations.

My clarification relates to the very useful scanned versions of the Canberra Bird Notes on the COG website.

I was fulsome in my gratitude to Martin for having scanned and posted those early COG records.
Apparently, my praise was misplaced, but no less warranted.

For the record, it was Alastair Smith, not Martin Butterfield, who scanned all the back copies of CBN that we now have online.
http://cbn.canberrabirds.org.au/

This is recorded in CBN 34 (3), 187-8.
  • "With an enormous amount of work from Alastair Smith all volumes of Canberra Bird Notes (CBN) have been scanned and can now be found on the COG website. This has been a ten month long task and involved 50 volumes of some 5,100 pages. The purchase of appropriate optical character recognition (OCR) software from funds approved by the Committee greatly improved the speed and accuracy of the scanning process."
So I republish my comments (as amended)
  • Those PDF scans of the early editions of the Canberra Bird Notes on the COG website were provided by Alistair Smith, and provide a great insight into the early days of this remarkable organisation. I take this opportunity to express my appreciation to Alistair's work in bringing these early, hand-typed, roneod documents in modern pdf format and then making them available on the Web.
Thanks to those who suggested the record be adjusted.
I am happy to oblige, and to give credit where credit is due.

Cheers

Denis Wilson