canberrabirds

Butcherbirds and myna traps

To: "'Margaret Leggoe'" <>, <>
Subject: Butcherbirds and myna traps
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 21:23:56 +1000

Margaret,

There is always the possibility that a butcherbird could get into your trap. Not knowing if you have an easily opened door or if you have to remove birds by hand and assuming it is the latter, I would strongly suggest that you watch both the beak – the hook is there for a ripping good reason, and the claws, especially the hind toe. If the bird has you and is out of the trap then just open your hand and hope!!! If it is still attached to your hand in the trap then you might have a problem. A good supply of antiseptic and bandaids could come in handy!!!

Cheers,

Mark