canberrabirds

Confusing Cockatoo

To: "Lindsay & Diana" <>
Subject: Confusing Cockatoo
From: Denis Wilson <>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 14:42:07 +1000
Well, just on photographic evidence alone, it looks to me like the "Citron-crested Cockatoo"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citron-crested_Cockatoo
  • "The Citron-crested Cockatoo is critically endangered. Its numbers in the wild have declined due to habitat loss and illegal trapping for the cage-bird trade. A 1993 survey of Sumba estimated the species' numbers at less than 2,000 individuals.[1] Together with the other subspecies of the Yellow-crested Cockatoo, it is listed in appendix I of the CITES list.[2] Consequently, international trade is strongly regulated and trade in wild caught Citron-crested Cockatoos is illegal."

Even if it is not that particular subspecies, it might well be this one:

  • The Yellow-crested Cockatoo is critically endangered.[1] Numbers have declined dramatically due to illegal trapping for the cage-bird trade. Between 1980 and 1992, over 100,000 of these birds were legally exported from Indonesia yet a German proposal submitted to CITES to move it to Appendix I[6] was not approved. It has since been moved to Appendix I.[2] The current population is estimated at as few as 2,500 individuals and is thought to be declining in number.[2]Now there is only about 7,000 cockatoos.
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow-crested_Cockatoo
Either way, I suspect its former owner will probably be looking to retrieve it.

It raises the issue of illegal bird smuggling, which was raised a few days ago on this line.
Even if this bird was legitimately raised in captivity, its ancestors almost certainly were not.

Denis Wilson