canberrabirds

Views all Canberrans will recognise #68

To: <>
Subject: Views all Canberrans will recognise #68
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 19:05:51 +1000

Well not actually in Canberra, or even the ACT, but a much-visited location by Canbloggians nonetheless.  On my way to the Plain this morning I had the advantage of a short and unexpected chat with Martin B who was found in long-distance running mode effortlessly covering the kilometres in the middle of nowhere.  In the below impression all components but 3 were snapped this morning, the 3 including the evocative plains-dwelling ungulate talking to the sheldrake, and the harrier, which I confess is from elsewhere, not being met with today.   The gang-gangs, as Martin has reported previously, were feeding in the roadside leafless hawthorns on drying berries, the birds, as in their hawthorn-feasting  elsewhere, splitting the fruit to extract the tiny seed.  The disused rail line, such a feature these days of rural NSW, must have served Captains Flat, the sight of it recalling what I was told some years ago – that it was constructed from the remains of the line from Matakana to Mount Price in the NSW mallee belt, one copper deposit being abandoned as another was opened up.