canberrabirds

Next mid-month walk

To: COG List <>,
Subject: Next mid-month walk
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 10:10:16 +1000
The next WW will be to Lake Road, Lake George.  We'll meet at 9am at the corner of Lake Road and the road that goes from Bungendore towards Macs Reef Rd and the Federal Highway (I think it is called 'Bungendore Rd', but so is everything else in that area!).  See attached Google Earth extract. I would suggest that folk attempt to car pool in Canberra as much as possible so we don't block up too much while parking (apart from all the carbon footprint issues).

The plan is to stop at the 'Big Dam' about 1km down Lake Road to see what is there (many waders have been sighted there in the past and earlier this year I saw a musk duck).  We'll then proceed about 8km down the road - stopping if something exciting is seen - to the private property at the end, the Silver Wattle Quaker Centre.  They have agreed - quite readily - to us coming, which is a great improvement on the attitude of the previous occupants.  My plan is to park at the Centre and then walk along a rough, but flat, track for about 2kms - birding all the way - to a spot where the water is quite close to the track.  Then  walk back.  I would hope we'll leave no later than 1:30.

The current weather forecast doesn't mention precipitation but does suggest 10C.  I haven't been there in Winter but expect that the wind could howl across the Lake so good layering would seem sensible.

Martin