canberrabirds

two trips to Shepherds Lookout (2/6/12 and 6/6/12)

Subject: two trips to Shepherds Lookout (2/6/12 and 6/6/12)
From: Julian Teh <>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 17:03:45 +1000
On Saturday the 2nd my friend Matt and I headed up to shepherds lookout for a
few hours despite the bad weather. We were rewarded with a number of bird
species.
Brown thronbill (lots)
White Eared HE
White Plumed HE
Yellow Rumped Thornbill
Grey Fantail
Scarlet robin (F)
Eastern Yellow Robin
Golden Whistler (F)
Kookaburra
Magpie
Pied Currawong
Red-Browed Finch
Superb fairy Wren
Galah
Sulphur Crested Cockatoo
Rainbow Lorikeet (over Higgins)
Crimson Rosella
Eastern Rosella
Noisy Miner
Black-Faced Cuckoo Shrike
Grey Shrike Thrush
Australian Raven
White Throated Treecreeper

And the highlight of the day, a Shining Bronze Cuckoo made an annoyingly
cryptic appearance, only just allowing us to get enough views to identify it
from Horsfield's Bronze as it moved through the bush.

A very short trip today (taking advantage of the sunshine) revealed a
categorical lack of cute fuzzy nocturnal birds that live in tree hollows (i.e.
Australian Owlet Nightjar), but we did see
Both M&F Scarlet Robin,
Lots of Speckled Warblers (8+),
Grey Currawong,
Kookaburra,
Brown & Yellow Rumped Thornbill
Golden Whistler (again only F)
Superb fairy Wrens and
Crimson Rosellas

On the way too the lookout today, I noticed two Black Shouldered Kites, and a
Straw-Necked Ibis alone in a paddock.

Cheers,
Julian