canberrabirds

Water birds and rats

To: "'Bob Rusk'" <>, "'Canberra birds'" <>
Subject: Water birds and rats
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 22:44:11 +1000
Hi Bob,

Sorry I'm a bit lost at your humour there, sadly a bit over my head. It was about 10 years ago. I don't know when the night events started. It was the sound of what we thought were cracking bones that alerted us to seeking out what was making the noise and in the semi dark it took a while to work out what was happening. It was in an out of the way dark spot, I think rather near where the egret statues are. No doubt though that it was Water-rats chomping on a dead Black Duck. No idea whether they killed the duck or found it dead but it seemed fresh.