canberrabirds

spelling of Gang-gang clarification

To: "'Canberra Birds'" <>
Subject: spelling of Gang-gang clarification
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 15:36:56 +1000
May I please point out that I sent my message privately to John and to the email for the GG (or is that G-g) newsletter only. I did not send it out to others. I request you to consider why I would do this, then I will explain .

I did not wish this to be hashed out again or to come back as a debate about something I might think or do. Thus I sent it just to those two addressees. Besides I wrote it should be Gang-gang Cockatoo (in full). I perceive that Gang-gang is an adjectival form of words to go with the noun of Cockatoo. Thus without the noun it doesn't really make sense in formal use (like "Red-rumped" doesn't make sense as describing an object but Red-rumped Parrot does.)

Frankly I don't care if people call it a bang bong or call a darter a swan. Words are just symbols. Provided we all understand what is being referred to. However such errors just create confusion. The difference between wrong and right spelling is just a quantitative, not a qualitative aspect of wrong. As for Margaret's comment about well known mammals, sadly the same protocols, so well established in birds are not generally used for other groups. Also the words she used are in a general sense, not as specific proper nouns for a species.

Now as to why I sent my message privately to John. It seems obvious to me that John is contemplating taking his survey further and likely publishing results somewhere. Thus, as is my habit, I was simply offering a correction and advice to assist him. This is certainly NOT for the benefit of his email message of this week, as that is an informal use and we all understand what he means and I don't care and it has already happened, so I hardly perceive any benefit to be gained there. I was clearly offering the correction so that when and if he does publish any results in the future, he knows when drafting such a note to use the proper name spelling and thus avoid the tedium or embarrassment of the editor needing to correct his draft.

All incredibly simple.

Philip Veerman
24 Castley Circuit
Kambah  ACT  2902