canberrabirds

FW: [canberrabirds] Noisy Miners taking over

To: <>
Subject: FW: [canberrabirds] Noisy Miners taking over
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 10:34:19 +1000

Yes, I don’t think these get the attention they deserve.  The following points summarised here are all in the archive somewhere.

1.       They are expanding into new areas, and multiplying.

2.       Entry into Callum Brae was about 15 years ago (v small number at first, probably from Mt Mugga), with continuous expansion since then.

3.       There is some evidence they don’t like a dense understorey. At Callum Brae and over the road on the Mt Mugga reserve they dominate open woodland but are absent from the thicker stuff.  Note that at Campbell Park they like the car park but don’t invade the shrubby areas.  They like golf courses, schoolyards.

4.       They are very hard on small birds, much more than C Myna (if that’s any danger at all)  -  see ref in archive to Kris French’s work.

5.       The related Bell Miner on south coast was seen as such  a danger to eucalypts from exclusion of pardalotes etc. that an eradication experiment was approved, near Merimbula.

I expect many open woodland areas around Canberra will lose all their small birds, with subsequent dieback being quite likely.