canberrabirds

vicious swans

To: Birds Canberra <>
Subject: vicious swans
From: Elizabeth Compston <>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 13:32:49 +1000
Report from Rod on January 3rd  this year.

Bike ride completed and inspired by the above sighting I decided it might be opportune to check out possible wader activity on sand and mud flats in the wetlands exposed by the current lower water levels (my first trip to the area since the October Blitz).  As I was launching my kayak I witnessed two Swans engage in a vicious brawl which resulted in one bird having to escape by leaving the water.  The attacking Swan then turned its attention to one of a pair of cygnets which belonged to the vanquished bird - it also managed to escape.  Roy Harvey and I witnessed similar behaviour during the blitz.  The savagery which these serene looking birds can at times exhibit continues to astound me.  Also seen in the distance while launching was the unmistakeable silhouette of a Sea Eagle soaring above Jerrabomberra Creek.

Swans, with cygnets, on the shore of Monger Lake in WA, can behave very menacingly to any person that they consider is too close.  You have to watch out if you have children with you

Elizabeth