canberrabirds

Canberra Birds for beginners

To: <>
Subject: Canberra Birds for beginners
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 21:59:49 +1000
Yes both comments are completely true. And we can speak of typical gardens or GBS areas or whatever else we wish to speak of. (I think Geoffrey's start point was not about GBS.) I am not entirely comfortable about the description of a "distortion" though. This issue of the problems and biases of the GBS is all of these things a: feature, attribute, strength, weakness, opportunity, threat. That GBS by its rules extends often beyond the immediate person's garden allows collection of status data that otherwise simply would not have been collected. What comes out of the GBS relates to what went in, with all its good points and its inconsistencies. That is why I devoted so much attention to explaining the history, style and methods of the GBS and the time and space connections in the data. Accepting the Birds of Canberra Gardens book is distorting, because it makes no useful or accurate attempt to explain these things.