canberrabirds

gang gangs

To: COG <>
Subject: gang gangs
From: jude hopwood <>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 15:48:05 +1000
Dear All,

In the last two years, small (no more than ten) Gang Gangs have flown over Currawang, SE of Collector, calling as they flew, once each season.  This year, each morning for the last week, several small crews (4 -5 in each) fly in from the SE very early in the morning to Radiata pines at Telegraph Hill, stay an hour or two, then fly out again, to the SE.  Has there been any report of regular home bodies living in the hills to the west of Lake George - near Collector?  Do they live in a particular small area or are they transients?

 I wonder this as I also wonder were they hunting for new food sources the first two years and have now settled on this isolated patch of pines as a food source?  As I write, a gang of four (one male, three females) has just flown overhead, circled our radiata pines and settled in the 150 year old ones across the road.

Jude