canberrabirds

Honeyeater migration

To: Susanne Gardiner <>
Subject: Honeyeater migration
From: Denis Wilson <>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 18:10:13 +1000
Further to Suzanne and Martin's notes, and my previous post about the migrating Honeyeaters at Bungonia (yesterday), today they arrived at Robertson, (first sighting for me, this season).

Clear blue skies, with light southerly wind had them crossing more or less wet to east, past  my back deck. Normally they come up the local valley, from Belmore Falls (south from my place).

Anwyay, in about 30 minute period (11:30 AM to 12:00 noon) I saw approx 300 YFHEs and a few WNHEs passing.
  • Flying in parties of about 15 to 20 birds. Frog-hopping from one outcrop of trees to another.
  • Definitely moving through, and not stopping to feed.
  • Different calling (YFHE chip, chip contact calls and WNHE mewing calls and not the louder feeding calls) from birds when feeding in Banksias in the Shoalhaven, or when in their breeding grounds (e.g. in Tall Dry Sclerophyll Eucalypt forests).

Cheers

Denis Wilson