canberrabirds

Honeyeater migration

To: martin butterfield <>
Subject: Honeyeater migration
From: Denis Wilson <>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 20:05:52 +1000
Further to Martin's note, I can confirm that YFHEs and White-napes were migrating along the Upper reaches of the Shoalhaven River Gorge today, at Bungonia Gorge and also at Long Point Lookout (out from Tallong, but a mere 5 Km from Bungonia Gorge).

Neither species is normally resident in these areas (home to White-eared HEs and Yellow-tufteds primarily). "Eucalyptus amplifolia, E. bosistoana and E. eugenoides dominate the plateau where the caves and main visitor facilities are located." (Bungonia Plan of Management.)

This area of the Upper Shoalhaven is not home to many Banksia species. Such food plants are common in the Sandstone Plateau through which the Shoalhaven travels in its next phase, which begins just a short flight away, for any self-respecting Honeyeater.

Cheers

Denis Wilson