canberrabirds

Newline today

To: canberrabirds chatline <>
Subject: Newline today
From: Sue Lashko <>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 19:10:21 +1000
Further to Julian's email - we had an extraordinary morning at Newline with the highest number of species ever - 61 - and I suspect also probably the most birds in total that I have ever seen there.  Conditions were a little challenging with chest high wet grass in places and voracious and prolific mozzies.  It was also one of the slowest surveys I have ever done because there were so many birds to record between the 9 sites, as well as within.

Highlights included (either because they are unusual records for Newline or migrants or because there were lots of them) WF Heron, an adult and young WB Sea-eagle, Hobby, adult and juvenile BS Kite, Dusky Moorhen on a dam, Shining Bronze-Cuckoo, Brush Cuckoo (identified thanks to Julian's photo), a White-throated Treecreeper drinking at the puddle just through the fence in the front paddock near the main gate, 2 Brown Treecreepers also near the front gate, Speckled Warblers, one Fuscous HE, Varied Sittella also near the puddle, Rufous and Golden Whistler, GST, pair of OB Orioles, 7 Dusky WS, a Grey Currawong, Leaden Flycatcher, Red-browed Finches (at least 43 in one flock), Double-barred and Goldfinch all drinking together at the puddle, Silvereyes everywhere.

At the end of the survey, we sat within sight of the puddle having a cuppa and eating hot cross buns and were entertained for about an hour by the drinkers, as well as the great variety of other birds near the front gate - this was from about 11.30.

If you go, take insect repellent.

Cheers
Sue