canberrabirds

FW: [canberrabirds] Little Corella

To: <>
Subject: FW: [canberrabirds] Little Corella
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 13:49:45 +1000

Con, I am not quite sure what you are measuring when you speak of ‘gaining’.  The pattern is for W Cockies to nest at well-known local woodland locations with suitable hollows, and in recent years a few pairs of corellas have done likewise, for example at Callum Brae.  That local corella nesting is probably increasing gradually, but I doubt it has reached the point there is serious completion for hollows v. the WC.  Those resident birds of either species might occasionally be recorded on GBS charts, particularly if visiting feeders.  There is a small localised group of corellas in the Telopea Park/Bowen Park area, probably stable as it seems to contain a consistent admixture of long-billed/hybrids.

Then there are the very large “Winter” flocks of either species, sometimes mixed, that come into the suburbs, often feeding on nature strips or median strips, and being most likely to be recorded on GBS charts.  Relative numbers of these might depend on breeding success and what the overall population is doing in other parts of its range.  It is these flocks that show most clearly  the explosion in Little Corella numbers – like your sighting today.  There is a question what relative visiting numbers might say about the relationship between the two species. The _expression_ ’recruiting from outside’ would only make sense if stay-overs were increasing the local resident population of either species, which might be happening, but I don’t know of any measuring of this.  GBS figures for, say, November-January might give some idea of what is happening, but I doubt the GBS is the most useful kind of counting for your purposes.

However, I think you know all this and are pursuing some other line of enquiry.  While the HANZAB entry for the WC on ‘Movements’ confirms my above summary, I note that the very first line under that heading reads:  “Vary.  Considered resident (Boekel 1980; …” !!