canberrabirds

Little Corella

To: <>
Subject: Little Corella
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 12:54:35 +1000
I don't know why but my computer would not open Martin's attachment, so I will just imagine that it would show the A values over the years (which I think I can accurately do). I think the data would support the comments, with these 2 disagreements. That Cockies are still a long way in front is surely true, but that truth is simply where we are in history right now. Difference in total numbers in no way reduces the strong possibility that the massive increase in the Corella population is contributing to the decline in the Cockatoo population. If the trend continues, the trend itself may become self sustaining. I'm not saying that is the cause, only that it is highly likely to be a factor. They compete on all levels. That TV show about Carnaby's Cockatoo showed that galahs & corellas compete with them too. I also don't see a need to invoke the suggestion of recruiting from outside, even though it is possibly happening (or more likely in the previous dry years). As the trend once started could occur just as well even if Canberra was an island.

Isn't it good that someone decided in 1989 to compile the GBS data as the basis for a report on it...........

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: Con Boekel [ Sent: Sunday, 1 April 2012 9:48 AM      To:
Subject: Re: [canberrabirds] Little Corella

Martin
Looking at those graphs it seems to me possible to hypothesise that if the later years are the start of a trend, then the Little Corellas are gaining while Sulphur-cresteds are declining, relatively. I suppose that one of the variables is how much the Little Corellas and Sulphur-cresteds are recruiting from outside.
What the graphs do show is what a wonderful resource long-term data collection by way of the GBS is.
Con