canberrabirds

Snakes

Subject: Snakes
From: "Paul T." <>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 19:47:22 +1100
At 07:06 PM 24/03/2012, you wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that this past summer seems to have been bad for snakes? My yard (in Bungendore) and the cemetery over the road are usually full of snakes, and a summer never goes by without several sightings. No so for this year. I assumed that it had something to do with the unusually mild and wet weather. Today though, I was walking through the cemetery to look for some YTBC that I saw and heard flying over the house, when I came across a large, almost perfect snakeskin. I haven't measured it yet (my folks are freaking out about it somewhat) but the unbunched portion (tail end) must be at least 1m long, and I'm guessing that the bunched up section contains at least another 0.5 to 1m. Not being a snake expert, I can't tell what species it is. Though judging from past snakes in the yard it could be either a Tiger, a Brown, or a King Brown.

Erika,

It's probably been a reall good year for snakes (from their point of view) as there would be a bumper crop of mice etc due to all the rain. I think the reason you aren't seeing as many of them if because it is a good year for them food-wise and they have dispersed out into the surrounding terrain. During the drought they would be clustered around available food sources like human habitation etc, and I would imagine that there would be more long grass etc in the cemetery than out in the paddocks during a drought? More cover for mice etc, so better hunting grounds. It is just that you aren't seeing them concentrated into smaller areas where there is viable food?

Someone commented to me recently that they hadn't had many frogs in their area this year..... possibly the same reason as I propose for the snakes. Much more water around elsewhere means that they don't need to concentrate in garden ponds etc as the only viable water for breeding. I've found the opposite, that there are more frogs around for me this year in my garden, but I guess it varies and the rain likely allows them to travel about more. Anyway, I've digressed from snakes..... I have no idea for sure whether my idea above is the reason you aren't seeing the snakes, but it seems logical to me. Hopefully to others as well?

Cheers.

Paul T.
Higgins, ACT.