canberrabirds

Bird recording conundrum

To: <>
Subject: Bird recording conundrum
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 14:57:05 +1100
On 25-2-2012 I wrote this question. It is curious to me that no one has responded. I am still 50/50 split as to whether this should go on the record sheet or not. Yes I know it hardly matters either way but it is odd to not elicit any guidelines or opinions (even humorous ones).

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: Philip Veerman [ Sent: Saturday, 25 February 2012 4:49 PM      To:      Subject: Kambah Pool miscellany

I decided to go on a extended journey from Kambah home to Kambah Pool today during the mid day moderate heat.

As I arrived and was getting my things together, a man drove to the edge of the car park, got out of his car with a shoe box, knelt down and opened the shoe box and I saw something flutter out. I expect he did not notice I was inside my car and saw what he did. I approached him and said "what was that?" He said he caught a bird in his strawberry patch and decided he should take it out to the bush to release it. I asked what bird and he said "I dunno, a brown bird". My first likely thoughts on that basis were a myna or female blackbird. When he pointed it out to me, sitting rather dazed low in a nearby tree, I see and tell him it is a young Red Wattlebird. Given that it may still be dependent, I said it may not survive but at least it is a common native bird and probably no harm. He got in his car and drove off to wherever.

Here is a question for the database team: Does that constitute a Red Wattlebird to go on the datasheet? If I had not seen how it got there I would not have known. I did not observe any other Red Wattlebird(s) there today.