canberrabirds

Peregrine Falcon (was Dollarbird (juv.) at wetlands

To: <>
Subject: Peregrine Falcon (was Dollarbird (juv.) at wetlands
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 14:20:58 +1100
About this. I think Jerry Olsen said at a COG meeting some years ago that the species was as common (or more) in urban Canberra as any city in the world. Just in general being out and about (without going out to try), I typically see a Peregrine Falcon or two, several times a year in Canberra. Usually at least once a year over my home, which is not far from the Murrumbidgee corridor (maybe 5 minutes flying time), sometimes in Civic, then the more expected areas: Kambah Pool, J Wetlands, whatever. It helps to be familiar with them and quickly pick the difference between them and other birds. About three months ago, I saw one on three separate days, flying over the Kambah Village sports grounds heading west, late in the day, one time possibly chasing pigeons.

About "Bear in mind other sub-species have smaller feet". Yes the Australian one is called F. p. macropus which suggests that. I wonder at the basis for that and why or how much. Yes I have seen them perch on power poles. Apart from the aspect of not liking to perch on small things like wires, I think given a choice Peregrine Falcons prefer to perch on trees, amongst the foliage or on rock ledges or buildings, where they are not obvious, than to perch on really obvious places like power poles or dead trees that so many other raptors favour. In comparison with Hobbies, Kestrels, Brown Falcons, Black Falcons, Black-shouldered Kites, etc. These thoughts based on two ideas: where I have actually seen them perching and the fact that the vast majority of my observations of them over the years have been of them flying, not perched. Yes they fly a lot but that suggests to me that when they are perched, they are less obvious in their chosen location than most raptors do (not including the goshawk group).

Sorry I'm lost about the Kevin Rudd in Geoff's earlier photo.