canberrabirds

FW: [canberrabirds] Cycle path from Streeton Drive to Lake BG - Pied Co

To: <>
Subject: FW: [canberrabirds] Cycle path from Streeton Drive to Lake BG - Pied Cormorant - request for confirmation
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 11:49:06 +1100

Hello Jean.  This got forwarded again.  No matter.  Well, a Pied Cormorant is certainly possible.  They are common on the coast, but we only get them occasionally on LBG, usually down near the carillon or the hospice, but they must feed more widely.  Size isn’t much of a guide when it’s a  single bird.  The main difference is the head  -  and makes the ID fairly clear if you get a decent look.  Differences shown below with Pied on top.  Little can vary according to age, whether just out of water etc, but top of bill is less than half length of head compared to Pied about same length.  This seems like a slight difference but gives the head a quite different, chunky look in the Little.   Another difference if the bird is out of the water is the black trousers on the Pied (second photo)  G