canberrabirds

Eurobodalla Botanic Gardens

To: "'Robin Eckermann'" <>, <>
Subject: Eurobodalla Botanic Gardens
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 14:23:41 +1100
Hi Robin,

The shape certainly suggests it is a White-bellied Sea-Eagle and from what colour shows it is a young bird, they are common on the NSW south coast. And yes missing feathers in the same section of both wings is entirely normal of most (if not all) birds as they moult (equally on both sides) according to a specific sequence, twice or (usually once for wing feathers) every year. Watched over several weeks, you would see the gap(s) progressively fairly equally move through each wing. Just that eagles are big enough and move slow enough so that people easily see this.