canberrabirds

Fwd: [Birding-Aus] Birdline ACT Weekly Update

To: Canberrabirds <>
Subject: Fwd: [Birding-Aus] Birdline ACT Weekly Update
From: BirdlineACT <>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 12:35:45 +1100
Birdline ACT

Published sightings for the week ending 22 Jan 2012.

Sun 22 Jan Brown Quail Kama Nature Reserve
Brown Quail breeding record. This afternoon I encountered an adult Brown Quail criss-crossing the track about 30m above the underpass, making quiet whistling noises as it ran about. Eventually it flew a short distance. Quietly searching along the side of the track, I found 3 hatchlings. As I located them, an adult bird (I think the same one) reappeared and ran along the middle of the track to lead me away from the hatchlings. I followed and left the birds in peace.
PJ Milburn

Sat 21 Jan Brush Cuckoo Campbell Park
Brush Cuckoo (1) Immature bird with its foster parents, a pair of Leaden Flycatchers
Alastair Smith, Frank Antram

Azure Kingfisher Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve
Single bird heard & then briefly seen this morning approx. 0815. Possibly same bird that was last observed on 9/1/12
Scott Ryan

White-bellied Sea-Eagle Kelly's Swamp & Jerrabomberra Wetland, Fyshwick
White-bellied Sea-Eagle (1) being harassed by 3 Masked Lapwings.
Brendan Sheean

Fri 20 Jan Black-fronted Dotterel Kelly's Swamp & Jerrabomberra Wetland, Fyshwick
23 Black-fronted Dotterel observed on Jerrabomberra Creek in front of tadorna hide. A 24th bird seen on Kellys Swamp.
Alastair Smith

Thu 19 Jan Latham's Snipe, White-fronted Chat, Red-kneed Dotterel, Fyshwick Sewage Treatment Plant
While twitching the Red-kneed Dotterel, I also observed on pond 1a Latham's Snipe (1) and White-fronted Chat (1) male. These are the first records for both species in Eremaea at the sewage works.
Alastair Smith

Red-kneed Dotterel Fyshwick STW
A single sub-adult Red-kneed Dotterel was present on the mud at pond 5 this morning.
PJ Milburn

Wed 18 Jan White-throated Needletails Mt Painter
Half a dozen Wh-t Needletails around the top of Mt Painter on Wed morning, occasionally so close to the ground that one flew between the metal legs of the trig point at the summit.
Nicki Taws

Little Eagle Goodwin Hill, Macgregor
Just (1050am 18 Jan) had a pale morph Little Eagle fly over Goodwin Hill in Macgregor. It was last seen heading east being pursued by three Magpies and a Magpie-lark. It was very low, about 20 metres above the trees and flew right over me.
Michael Kingsford

Tue 17 Jan Swamp Harrier Belconnen Pony Club, Parkwood Road, Holt.
Quartering over field of long grass.
John K. Layton

Mon 16 Jan Grey Goshawk, Peregrine Falcon O'Connor
Yesterday was an unusual raptor day in O'Connor. At lunchtime (13:30) a male Peregrine Falcon was circling above Hobbs Street and then at dinner time (19:00) a grey female Grey Goshawk drifted in from Turner over David Street along Syme Crescent and cruised off towards Dickson.
PJ Milburn

Grey Goshawk Mt Majura Nature Reserve, Hackett
Grey morph seen from Blue Metal Road, perched in eucalyptus tree below first dam, 3pm. Other birds were very noisy and agitated and eventually chased it away towards Mt Ainslie. I had a clear view of its grey plumage (darker near tail), white breast, dark eyes, yellow legs and yellow and black beak. The tail was lightly barred.
Christine Ledger

Sun 15 Jan Wonga Pigeon Mt Franklin Rd, Namadgi NP
Sighted from the road, a single bird flying down steep slope about 2km past Bulls Head (strictly speaking the bird was in NSW, since the border follows the ridgeline in Namadgi, but certainly within the Canberra Ornithologists area of interest). Wonga pigeons rarely seen in Namadgi since the 2003 bushfires. [Moderator's comment: Publishing on Birdline ACT due to the importance of the record for the ACT and because the bird was very close to the border!]
Sandra Henderson

Pink-eared Duck, Australian Spotted Crake Fyshwick Sewage Treatment Plant
Pink-eared Duck (2) on pond 4 Australian Spotted Crake (1) on pond 2b
Alastair Smith

Great Egret Kelly's Swamp & Jerrabomberra Wetland, Fyshwick
Single Great Egret on Kellys.
Alastair Smith

Birdline ACT is sponsored by Eremaea Birds and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.

Unsubscribe