canberrabirds

Query

To: "'Geoffrey Dabb'" <>, "'COG'" <>
Subject: Query
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 15:11:26 +1100
I recall a COG outing some years ago when we thought it odd that there were a couple of juvenile Dollarbirds sitting on the ground at the edge of the car park at the East Uriarra reserve. It was decided that they were recent fledglings that were not skilled or confident to fly back up to arboreal safety. Geoff suggests this is a regular thing, it is mentioned in HANZAB.

On the second question, yes if the bird naturally occurs at both ends of its migration movement it is called native to both countries / continents etc.

If birds are given a geographic related name, these commonly just reflect the precedent, accident or biases of history of who and where it was first described. These do cause confusion. So there are different answers to that question and at least a few frauds, like the Laughing Kookaburra and Gentoo Penguin whose scientific names suggest they come from Papua New Guinea. Both the result of explorer fraud.

Texts from Europe will say that all these northern hemisphere breeding migrant birds (mostly waders) winter in Australia. They don't. They spend the northern hemisphere winter here but they summer here (i.e. follow the summer).